November 13, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness

It says in our local newspaper that November 13th is the day of "random acts of kindness". Wouldn't it be nice if each person would try to do one every day and not only on November 13th. I'm always surprised of how good I feel when I do a little something for another person. At the same time, when someone is kind to me, it puts a smile on my face.
Yesterday I was making Ebay packages and I noticed that one of the buyers was a lady from my town, who has bought shoes from me in the past. She has added $5 for shipping for the shoes and I emailed her saying that I can deliver the shoes myself to her house (it only takes me like 5 minutes to get there and it's on my way to the post office) and I can refund her $5. She emailed back and told me to keep the $5 that those are "for the delivery service", "after all", she said, "those shoes are worth more than their price anyway". She obviously didn't have to do that, but she wanted to be nice. Now, $5 might not make much of a difference in my wallet, but her kindness and generosity did make a difference.
Food for thought...
And since I'm talking about kindness, I would recommend a book called "The Hidden Power of Kindness" by Fr. Lawrence Lovasik. It is a book written by a Catholic priest from a Catholic perspective. I'm reading it now and it is great so far.
Father Lovasik has written many books (especially for children), mostly in the 60's. The Lovasik book I'm now reading to my boys is called "The Works of Mercy", another book I warmly recomend for Catholic children; in fact I was thinking of buying it for each of my godchildren this Christmas. It describes each of the 7 corporal and 7 spiritual acts of mercy that we as Christians are called to do. Some examples are: "to feed the hungry", "to visit the sick", "to admonish the sinner", "to counsel the doubtful" etc. Jesus himself has tought us to practice these works.
I will gradually introduce my children to the works of mercy and encourage them to practice them as often as they can, starting with maybe one a day.
More food for thought...

No comments: