September 27, 2008

Cecilia at the German School




We've had Teddy and Benedict in the German school in the past, Teddy for two nonconsecutive years and Benedict for one year. They both hated it, especially Teddy, because all the kids there are from German families and speak German at home so the teachers teach at their level. My kids didn't understand very much so we dropped German.

I didn't think I would return there but Cecilia is showing an unusual interest in learning the language. She started picking up words at 3- 4 while listening to German tapes, intended for her older brothers, in the car. She started saying words and singing songs and she kept asking me to speak to her in German. I borrowed all the German DVD's and tapes I found at the library several times. Even my parents have learned the "Ich heisse Moritz" and "Magst du Coca-Cola" songs. My brother in law, Chris sent us many German books and CD's from Germany for the kids and I ordered more from Amazon.de. Cecilia is listening to her CD's over and over again and can say a few phrases in German.

The logical next step was to enroll her in the German school. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will like it and will want to stay in the school for more than 1 or 2 years. We'll see. Anyway, Frau Coffin, the Kindergarten teacher and Mrs. Newcomb, the principal, were happy to see us back, this time with a new student.
The Seattle German Language School teaches grades PK-12 and adults on Saturdays from 9-11:30am at the Villa Academy in Seattle (close to University Village).

No comments: